Saturday, May 7, 2011

Otsego County Library - My library!!

Saturday, May 07, 2011


Otsego County Library




      What does a hard working, customer friendly local library look like? Just like the one in Gaylord, Michigan.  This is my hometown library. The kind, friendly and patient staff there have been putting up with me for 30 years. When I walk in they all recognize me and mumble "Oh dear here comes trouble" with big grins on their faces.
The always smiling Elaine
With the director Maureen in the background
This library, as many libraries,  has a section where they sell books. When I try to "cheat" them out of the 50 cent price of a book by telling them I want to "check it out" I always get a smile and some comment as they tell me "No!"   When I ask them if they have a copy of "Learning to Read for Dummies" the comments are always fun. As I said they tolerate me well.  No matter how weird the request they are always willing to do what they can to accomodate me. 
        Recently remodeled inside the new look is very nice and still feels homey. They have about 15 computer stations that are almost always busy, a nice magazine reading section with comfortable chairs and have managed to still maintain a good basic collection of books. The childrens section is warm, kid friendly and active. There is even a nice room that is reserved for teens. Now the teens no longer have to put up with grumpy old guys like me staring at them, wondering what was the cause of the giggling and frantic whispering. 

Tammy (on left) and Cathy
both deep in thought
This is a well run and very active library with something new going on every time I stop in. I will be adding some more information when Maureen sees this and tells me what I forgot to mention.  I will also be adding a picture of their new library card which is ordered but not available for this posting..  My card is an old, old one. But I like it and as long a they let me I will keep using it.
        I collect library cards, but my wife collects library book bags. The one from Otsego County Library is one of the nicer looking ones.

One of the library bags from my wife's collection
       I don't know if they still have this bag in stock. I think so. If you think it is an attractive book bag you can find them on line or call 989-732-5841 to see if they are available.
        Check back in a couple weeks when I have added additional pictures and more information about this fine hometown library. In the next blog I will discuss some of the State Libraries I have visited.  Check back in about a week. I try to post at least one new blog each week. Thanks for looking at this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment